Communications and Development Fellow
This role is responsible for supporting and advancing STLF’s mission through communications and development. This includes, but is not limited to: editorial and distribution responsibility for regular newsletters, support of fundraising campaigns and events, grant research and writing, development related meetings, and administrating donor engagement systems.
The Role In Practice:
The C&D Fellow will in any given week be responsible for editing a Program Team blog post, meeting with a foundation representative concerning a grant, writing thank you notes to donors, updating donor information in Salesforce, leading a Pay-It-Forward tour, and researching foundations for potential grants.
The C&D Fellow is expected to jump right into implementing STLF strategy, decision-making, and execution. This includes self-direction, innovation, logistics, event planning, public speaking, leadership training, and preparation of STLF programs.
The Communication and Development Fellow advances the STLF mission through:
- Understanding the intersection of the STLF mission and donor interests.
- Growing in the art and science of development.
- Ensuring systems follow industry best practices for fundraising and grant seeking.
- Engaging alumni, parents, participants, and supporters through intentional communication practices.
- Staffing programs as needed. (Travel Required)
Skills Utilized and Developed:
- Be a self-starter who takes initiative and delivers results.
- Have the ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Practice strong interpersonal and facilitation skills.
- Possess the ability to work in a project-based, collaborative setting.
- Troubleshooting and problem-solving
- Attention to detail
- Event planning
- Relating to and working with young people (pre-teens to young adults)
- Adaptability to STLF culture
All STLF staff are expected to advance the mission of STLF by:
- Attending to general office duties. (office cleaning, answering the phone, responding to emails, maintaining typical office hours, etc.)
- Participating in fundraising events and campaigns.
- Producing publishable material for the STLF blog, newsletter, social media, and other communications.
- Advocating for program expansion by meeting with educators, students, parents, and funders.
STLF employees are expected to:
- Work full-time.
- Be college graduates. (Comparable work experience may be considered in some instances.)
- Limit continuing education or secondary employment as to not interfere with STLF employment.
- Live accessible to the Minneapolis/St. Paul metro area.
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Possess a reliable vehicle for personal transportation to and from the STLF offices, and STLF related events and programs.
STLF employees will have the unique opportunity to:
- Participate in a multi-disciplinary approach to building leadership skills.
- Attend conferences, trainings, and/or networking events.
- Create and implement facilitations for staff and students.
- Benefit from intentional goal-setting, mentoring, and coaching.
- Add to and enjoy our staff culture ☺
- Bring your own talents to the position and sharpen your skills.
- Be a part of STLF’s staff history and our movement!