About The Role
The CAD detailer coordinates with the exhibit designers, project managers, our shops, and outside vendors to produce construction documents that meet Split Rock Studios’ quality, durability, and installation standards.
• Produce justified build drawings based on as-built dimensions of the exhibit space.
• Generate and maintain CAD sheet schedule for use throughout the project.
• Produce construction drawings, per design, taking the following into account:
• Design intent
• Efficient build
• Ease of installation
• Integration between wood shop and art shop
• Specialty departments (in-house CNC)
• Outsourced components (acrylic parts, hardware, etc.)
• At the end of each project, CAD detailers are expected to produce as-built drawings based on fabricators’ shop red-line drawings.
• Strong oral and visual communication skills
• Comfortable communicating with designers and builders alike
• Regular attendance at internal project meetings
• Occasional attendance at client meetings
• Up to date on current exhibit materials and build methods
• Ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously
• Familiarity with various types of building systems including, but not limited to HVAC, plumbing, flooring, electrical, and low voltage
• Proficient in AutoCAD (required)
• CAD experience in permanent exhibits, retail, architectural millwork, theatre, or trade shows
• Degree in engineering and/or commensurate experience
• Experience in fabrication with the above-listed fields
ABOUT SPLIT ROCK STUDIOS
We are writers, designers, craftspeople, and artists. We’re big picture thinkers and detail-driven planners. Working together, we make incredible exhibits, all under one roof in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Take a look at https://splitrockstudios.com/.
We’ve always owned our work. Now we own our company, too. As employee-owners, we all take a personal stake in our company’s future. This mindset results in unmatched quality, continuous improvement, and an unparalleled commitment to project success.
And lots of other things, too. Our team is made up of dog lovers, musicians, foodies, and outdoor adventurers. Our individual passions keep us innovative, energized, and able to make truly custom creations for our clients.
We compensate commensurate with experience and salary history. Split Rock Studios is an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit your cover letter*, resume, salary expectation, and a portfolio pdf to our search manager, firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Your Name > CAD Detailer” in the subject line.
*In your letter, please include the following…
– Description of one example of your fabrication experience (i.e. work you hand-built that uses joinery and fasteners)
– Mention of a project you completed for an exhibit, retail space, architectural millwork, theater, or trade show and what made it unique
– Explanation of why you’ve transitioned from fabrication to CAD detailing and what you love about this role
Once your application is reviewed by our search manager, you may be invited to interview in a two-step process, which includes a combination of meeting our President, Senior CAD Detailer, and two Shop Managers (in Wood and Art Fabrication).
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!