Lead the creative direction across all clients and all types of work. Provide inspiration and direction to the creative team.
What You’ll Do
Lead the team and projects from concept to execution. Drive the creative strategy in partnership with the account team to deliver ideas that wow our clients. Own and guide the process internally. Create and nurture relationships with clients to understand their challenges and get to know them personally. Surprise and delight in creative thinking and execution. Think about projects holistically. Help everyone succeed; the client, our company, and the team.
Lead Creative Strategy
- Partner with the Brand Strategy or Senior Account person to bring the strategy to life through creative concepts.
- Be able to articulate the strategic vision and how the creative solves the client’s challenge.
- Understand and apply consumer insights; demonstrate empathy for the audience through the concept and execution.
- Apply cross-pollination thinking; bringing ideas and insights from other industries and efforts to provide fresh thinking.
- Be able to concept multiple creative options, provide creative problem solving, and lead others to do this successfully.
- Collaborate with a copywriter on concepting to create holistic ideas and executions.
- Bring your strong presentation skills to develop and sell concepts, both internally and to clients; demonstrate ability to listen and hear client feedback.
- Ensure the concept is executed consistently and appropriately across multiple executions in a campaign and across all marketing materials.
- Work within a client’s brand style guide and ensure the team adheres to client brand guidelines.
- Art direct the execution, including providing insightful and meaningful illustration and photography direction.
- Comprehend and lead packaging structure decisions; articulate package design and printing implications.
- Understand and help manage budgets and team workload to deliver impactful creative and support agency profitability.
Inspire, Lead, and Teach
- Manage designers to help them be successful, grow, and develop their skills; be involved in the hiring and performance reviews.
- Be a resource and mentor to the creative team and overall agency.
- Develop vision and guidance; offer creative inspiration and direction.
- Review and provide strategic feedback on creative work.
- Keep the leadership team informed on all projects and team performance.
- Develop internal presentations or training to grow agency’s understanding of processes, strategies, and trends.
Build and Maintain Successful Client Relationships
- Build personal relationships with clients when appropriate; learn to anticipate their needs and desires, and proactively provide solutions.
- Understand and articulate the client’s business challenges and opportunities, and translate to ideas.
- Listen and understand clients’ business objectives and personal likes/dislikes to anticipate future comments/objectives and create successful presentations.
Own the Execution
- Be responsible and accountable for the final deliverables on a project, either personally or working through others.
- Be able to lead the team and work on multiple projects and clients simultaneously.
- Help to prioritize the work and shift work across the creative team to manage timelines and budgets effectively.
- Lead the process to gather information for print production specs and applying them to the execution; work with account team and printers on bids/coordinating press checks, proof reviews, etc.
- Demonstrate strong understanding of…
- identity system design and development.
- packaging, collateral, advertising, web development, presentations, event execution, etc.
- web projects and the process including content outline, site map, wireframes, UX/UI, SEO, social media, and the role of technology + design.
Desired Personal Characteristics
Strong organizational skills, effective written and verbal communication skills, smarts with a passion to learn, creative thinker with a fresh perspective, logical and methodical thinker, thorough and accurate, energetic, positive and friendly attitude, happy personality with a love for laughter, detail oriented, initiative, self-starter, leader, collaborative, ability to juggle many projects, conceptual, fresh, surprise thinking, inspiring, mentoring, solution-oriented.
Mac OS software, Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Illustrator, Motion Graphics, Microsoft Office, Keynote, Photoshop, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms.
About the Employer
We believe in smart. We believe in delightful. We elevate branding, product development, package design, and online engagement strategies to transform words and images into action. Simply put, we wow consumers. And that thrills clients.
Our values: Respect. Team. Dedication. Joy. Passion.
We’re an agency of smart, creative people who love the work we do. Our passions enrich every client relationship — and our passions run the gamut. We’re bookworms and outdoors adventurers. We’re proud parents, animal lovers, sports nuts, and wine connoisseurs. Most importantly, we’re quick to laugh and slow to settle for less than perfect. Located in Minneapolis.
How to Apply
Submit your application to our search manager, email@example.com. Title the email “Creative Lead > Your Name.” Include your portfolio link, resume, and cover letter. In your letter, 1) briefly address how your experience reflects the criteria in the job description, 2) mention one thing that specifically interests you about this leadership role, and 3) tell us where your career is headed. Please include your salary expectation in your email message.