About The Role
The Director of Diversity in Business is responsible for leading the development, management, and execution of Stearns Bank’s DEI-driven business growth & delivery strategies. This position will focus on increasing access to banking services and capital to underserved markets, supporting the growth of women and minority-owned businesses, implementing creative and more effective delivery of banking services and financing options to emerging entrepreneurs, and expanding Stearns Bank’s diverse networks and partnerships that expand our reach and impact in increasing access to banking services and funding opportunities for underserved entrepreneurs.
• Research, develops and executes strategies and mobilize action plans to increase access to banking services and capital to underserved entrepreneurs.
• Identify the banking services and financing needs and wants of underserved entrepreneurs and deploy effective, innovative ways to deliver the banking services and financing needed and wanted by women and minority-owned small businesses, which are the fastest growing small business sectors in the country and in all of our communities.
• Partner with Stearns Bank Advisory Board to expand our diverse networks, build new partnerships, and develop effective messaging and delivery of banking services to diverse and emerging entrepreneurs.
• Assists and advises on hiring and partnering to increase diversity at Stearns Bank and in our purchasing and vendor contracts.
• Builds, develops, and maintains profitable customer relationships by executing a sales approach aimed at identifying business practices/needs and recommending solutions that increase diversity in business and achieve customers’ financial goals and objectives.
• Works with existing and prospective Stearns Bank customers and understands their unique organizational dynamics to align partnership and growth strategies appropriately.
• Identifies, builds, and sustains partnerships with community organizations, tribal governments, and others to expand the bank’s reach to serve more diverse communities and emerging entrepreneurs.
• Participates in and represents Stearns Bank at various professional, civic, and community activities nationwide.
• Demonstrates an understanding of and appreciation for cultural differences and promote insights to encourage and engage others in offering solutions for entrepreneurs from diverse backgrounds.
• Ensures appropriate and efficient handoff of new business and appropriate follow-up for effective retention.
• Effectively and measurably cross-sells across all lines of business that Stearns Bank offers.
• Interprets data to measure success and shift action plans to ensure successful achievement of goals.
• Stays current on all industry trends and regulations applicable to the duties of this position.
• Loss prevention and security as applicable for this position.
• Maintains a working knowledge of all legal and regulatory compliance issues as they pertain to this position.
• Performs other duties as necessary for the efficient operations of the department and organization.
• Completes required training.
• This position is remote-eligible within the United States. Travel is an integral part of this role and will be based on business need. 50%+ travel to be expected.
• Occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions in English.
• Ability to sit for extended periods of time, twist, bend, sit, walk use hands to twist, handle or feel objects, tools or controls, such as computer mouse, computer keyboard, calculator, stapler, telephone, staple puller, etc., reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, talk or hear.
• Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
• Bachelor’s Degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university, or equivalent education and experience.
• A personal and professional knowledge about and interest and experience in small businesses growth is required.
• A passion and vision for growing diversity in business is required, with a desire to make a nationwide impact in diversity, equity and inclusion across all business sectors.
• Strong interpersonal skills are required. Must thrive in partnering and networking, with a drive to learn about diverse interests and cultures and a well-honed ability to collaborate effectively with diverse customers, community groups, and team members is required.
• Strong relationship development and proactive client service skills required.
• Strong research and data-informed strategies and decision-making desired
• Banking experience strongly desired.
• Strong leadership skills and experience required, and management experience preferred.
• Familiarity with DE&I process, sponsor organizations, content, and market receptivity strongly desired.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
• Strong computer skills.
• Ability to travel domestically (40%+).