About The Role
The BrandLab is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit based in the Midwest with offices in Minneapolis, MN, Milwaukee, WI, and Kansas City, MO, introducing exciting training and connecting young people ages 15-25 to careers in the marketing and advertising industry.
Our offices are unique because each of our three locations resides inside a marketing or advertising agency. These agencies provide our team with office space, basic infrastructure, and support for The BrandLab for a minimum of one year to ensure The BrandLab is supported by a broad-based coalition and not only one agency. In addition, this unique approach to office space helps us create strong community support for our mission to benefit the industry and provides our team with a bright, lively work environment – that often hosts free food and lots of fun.
Since 2009, The BrandLab has worked towards creating a more equitable and inclusive industry. The BrandLab works to change the industry by introducing and connecting young people who identify as a person of color to opportunities in the creative and marketing space. Additionally, we work with the industry to create more inclusive and equitable work environments so individuals can feel a sense of belonging and thrive once they arrive.
We envision People of Color launching sustainable careers in workplaces of inclusivity and belonging.
To change the face and voice of the marketing and advertising industry.
Our core values are written as action words. We don’t believe in ‘culture fit’ but look for all team members to actively embrace and work to embody these values.
- BE AUTHENTIC – Foster a culture focused on relationships with our talent and team that are rooted in honesty, empathy, consistency, and passion.
- BE INCLUSIVE – Courageously commit to learning and unlearning that encourages and supports our team and talent.
- BE VISIONARY – Intentionally listen and learn to inspire the creative evolution of our work with our talent and team.
- BE A CATALYST – Create connections that cultivate the full potential of our talent and our team personally and professionally.
This position will report to the Chief Executive Officer and will be a critical member of the organization’s leadership team. The Director of Finance and Administration directly oversees the organization’s Accounting, Human Resources, and IT departments. Additionally, they will contribute to strategy development in partnership with the leadership team, Board of Directors, and finance committee. This role is vital for supporting the leadership team, the organizational culture, and telling The BrandLab story through numbers and impact.
Accounting (Primary Responsibility)
Oversees and/or performs all day‐to‐day accounting /Finance functions, including:
- Responsible for generating and reporting monthly financial statements and analysis of financial results with accuracy, timeliness to the CEO and Board of TheBrandLab. ● Oversees general ledger, revenue and billing, accounts receivable payable and oversees the payroll function ensuring efficient systems, process and controls for payroll as well as the payment of the associated employee benefits.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining effective policies and procedures that reflect well-balanced internal controls. Works with external auditor for annual audit. ● Measures, monitors, and reports financial + accounting performance metrics to leadership that are useful for decision-making. Examines results to look for growth opportunities, cost savings and increased earnings.
- Works with the CEO and leaders to develop budgets and support program analysis, grant application and budget tracking.
Human Resources (Secondary Responsibility)
- Oversight of human resources functions, including benefits administration, new employee orientation, and payroll administration.
- Effectively communicate HR policies and practices to all employees.
- Support CEO with final decision‐making on any human resources issues.
- Develops and implement human resources strategies in line with organizational goals. ● Works with the CEO and governance committee on policy and special projects, including updates to the employee handbook.
- Manage employee surveys for current employees and exiting employees. ● Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through continuous development, modeling inclusive behaviors, and proactively managing biases. ● Provide a high level of customer service for all employees and clients.
- Assist with onboarding youth participants throughout the calendar year.
General Office and Information Technology (Tierchiary Responsibility)
- Attend all Board and Finance Committee meetings.
- Communicate monthly financials, budgets & strategic financials to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Partner with the Finance Committee and CEO to ensure strong financial controls and effective risk management practices are in place.
- Participate in the deployment and support of new technology services and workflows. ● Conduct general network administration (network and user management, such as creating and provisioning new users, software licensing, folder/file access, and security in Google Drive environment).
- Passionate about our mission of creating radical change.
- Smart, energetic leader with an eye for detail but also the ability to think and communicate strategically.
- This is a small nonprofit, and the candidate will need to be able to multitask, juggling several projects and prioritizing them effectively and efficiently.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent is required, MBA or CPA preferred.
- 7+ years of nonprofit accounting experience, including several years in a leadership role. ● Previous experience in working with a Board of Directors is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified nonprofit funding base. ● Positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and collaboration.
- A high degree of initiative.
- Strong partnership, communication, and collaboration skills.
- Competitive benefits package (health benefits, HSA, options for dental coverage. Retirement plan with company matching).
- Flexible work schedule and time-off policy.
- Flexible work location with a desk inside a fun, energetic advertising industry. ● Professional development opportunities.
Salary range & location
- The Director of Finance and Administration is an exempt, full‐time position. The pay range is $90,000‐$130,000.
- Location preference: Twin Cities, Minnesota.