Studio On Fire is looking for a junior to mid level designer to join the team in our bustling specialty print shop. Role will primarily focus on supporting our growing packaging development department, but will also tackle other design projects as they arise.
We are growing rapidly! There is room for growth and more responsibility depending on your specific interests and professional strengths.
Responsibilities and Duties
Your primary responsibility will be designing packaging that utilizes our specialty print processes (letterpress, foiling, emboss/deboss, diecuts, duplexing, folding/gluing, etc); designs should always keep the parameters of these specialty processes in mind. Projects could be from scratch, but often use client provided assets to build upon.
Specific duties include:
– Supporting the client services and dieline development team with design services.
– Creating digital design presentation files for client review.
– Producing clean and organized print-ready files.
– Press checking jobs on press (in-house!) that you design.
– Assorted tasks as needed. We are a small studio, occasionally everyone packs a box, collates some cards, takes out the trash, or sorts paper samples.
– Bachelor’s degree in design or equivalent work/school experience.
– Must be extremely (!) comfortable in Adobe Illustrator. Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and Acrobat will also be necessary.
– You will need to spec papers, inks, foils, etc; while some on-the-job training is a given, a general understanding of these materials is desired.
– Must be self-motivated, open to feedback, and be able to take direction.
– Attention to detail and focus on quality is crucial.
– Strong communication, organizational, and time management skills are a necessity.
– A background in production design or pre-press is extremely advantageous.
– A love, or at least tolerance, for dogs. We often have puppers in the studio.
– Start date TBD, ideally in the next month or so.
– This is a full-time (40hr/wk) position.
– Work hours are 9:30am to 6pm, M-F.
– Pay range is $20-24/hr, negotiable depending on experience.
– Office Manager/Senior Designer
– As a collaborative studio you will definitely be asked to work directly with others.
How to Apply
Please, no calls or drop-ins. Email firstname.lastname@example.org directly with resume, cover letter, and link to your portfolio. Title the email “Graphic Designer, SOF > Your Name.” When contacting us, specifically outline any design, layout, or packaging experience that you may have. Also mention your 5+ year goals. We prefer the hourly rate information to be included in your email message.
Sorry, this is not an internship position and cannot be remote.
Suitable applicants will be notified via email to schedule an interview.
About Studio On Fire
Located in St. Paul’s Creative Enterprise Zone and in walking distance of the light rail system, Studio On Fire is a best-in-class pressure-based artisan printer. We focus on making premium print work that we love as much as our clients do. Learn more here.