Marketing and Advertising Manager
The Minnesota Museum of American Art (the M) is in an exciting, transformational time as we prepare to complete the opening of our new 36,000 square foot museum facility in downtown St. Paul. The M seeks a Marketing Manager to set, guide, and execute the strategy for our marketing, advertising, and brand awareness efforts to advance our organization’s goals and increase attendance and impact. You’ll join a collaborative team of 20 staff, who are setting the course for the museum’s future.
This position reports to the Director of Advancement and works closely with the Communications Manager in creating holistic campaigns to promote all areas of the M’s programming, including exhibitions, studio art classes, public programs, and events.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into the criteria we’ve outlined below, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
Work Environment & Schedule: Must be able to successfully work both independently and collaboratively in an office setting. Work schedule is Monday through Friday, but does require occasional work on evenings and weekends, based on department needs and event schedules.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual marketing and advertising plan for the museum’s audience segments.
- Lead the production and placement of clear, effective advertising and promotional creative and secure placements that engage target audiences.
- Alongside the M’s Communications Manager, work with graphic designers to develop print and online collateral, such as brochures, e-newsletters, social media, and website content that advances the M’s mission, brand, vision, and strategic goals.
- Work closely with the M’s Communications Manager and Director of Advancement to manage the museum’s brand, ensure that all communications convey the museum’s mission and are
- Manage relationships with media partners, marketing sponsors, and promotional partners.
- Manage the museum’s marketing and advertising budget.
- Report on effectiveness of efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree OR equivalent experience in marketing, advertising, or communications.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience creating and implementing successful integrated marketing communication plans.
- Knowledge of local advertising market.
- Experience in analyzing web traffic, developing content, keywords, and targeting strategies for online ads.
- Outstanding visual acuity related to photographs, promotional images, and the creative interplay between text and image.
- Experience in web content management systems, such as WordPress, and email systems such as MailChimp.
- Outstanding organization skills, able to successfully manage multiple projects independently and seek direction as needed.
- Exceptional communication skills, excellent judgment, proven relationship skills, discretion, creative thinking, and the desire and ability to work as part of a small and dedicated team.
- Experience with creating marketing materials, including print/online ads, and other collateral is a plus.
- Experience working in a nonprofit art or cultural institution a plus.
How to Apply: Submit cover letter and resume via email to Jennifer Hensley, Director of Operations, at
Salary will be determined based upon experience, in the range of $45,000 to $50,000. This is a full-timeposition with comprehensive benefits.
Application deadline: Sunday, May 12, 2019; anticipated start date in late May or early June.
The M is committed to building a culture focused on inclusivity, diversity, equity, and accessibility and strives to exemplify the richness of difference, and the equitable inclusion of it, throughout the organizational culture and within its practices. Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer.