Marketing and Communications Manager
About the Minnesota Humanities Center
The Minnesota Humanities Center (MHC) is a statewide nonprofit and full service event center located in St. Paul, Minnesota. MHC connects our past, present, and future by bringing people together to increase understanding and spark changes. We collaborate with organizations and people through education, partnerships, and public programs to inspire community conversations, forge deep connections, and illuminate authentic, diverse voices across the state—especially those left out, marginalized, or otherwise absent from our education and public awareness.
MHC offers a new way to think about our future—grounded in the humanities. We help people listen, connect, and understand each other better—because we know isolation and division are dangerous. As our state changes and grows more diverse, communities are too often choosing not to listen to each other. As a result, we experience gaps and breakdowns. Our approach affirms we are all in this together—using philosophy, literature, civics, history, language, and more—we focus on what unites us not divides us—bringing the humanities out of scholarly institutions and into the lives of everyday Minnesotans.
The Marketing and Communications Manager will set, guide, and execute a strategy for our marketing, advertising, and brand awareness efforts that advance MHC’s organizational goals to increase event attendance and enhance MHC’s visibility. This person will work to ensure our messages are conveyed to our multiple target audiences and is responsible for significant external interaction with MHC and the community. It is critical that this position represent MHC professionally and with an emphasis on our mission, programs, services, events, and support of the Humanities. This individual will work with the Director of Development and Communications to create holistic campaigns to promote all areas of MHC’s programs, events, Event Center, and fundraising initiatives. In addition, this individual will work closely with the Digital Marketing Administrator to develop online content. This individual will be a solutions-based, creative team player.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate an effective annual marketing and advertising plan that engages target audiences
- Provide guidance to staff and spokespeople on key messages, promotional events, educational mailings, speaking opportunities, and other organizational marketing efforts
- Create compelling language and content for program and event marketing materials
- Research, create, and monitor lists and related targeted outreach to enhance and grow audiences
- Work closely with the Digital Marketing Administrator to develop online content including newsletters, social media posts, e-blasts, and website updates
- Work closely with the Director of Development and Communications to develop key messages and create print collateral including brochures, annual reports, and event and program informational pieces
- Work with staff to integrate multiple systems/campaigns across platforms to provide a seamless customer experience
- Manage marketing and advertising budget
- Manage Google Ads campaigns
- Co-manage social media accounts and ads
- Work with team to develop materials for annual and biannual legislative funding requests
Media Relations: 15%
- Work with Director of Development and Communications to coordinate media outreach for MHC
- Write and disseminate press releases and media advisories and serve as liaison between reporters and producers and MHC spokespeople
- Track press releases and maintain all MHC press lists, developing relationships with media partners, marketing sponsors, and promotional partners to enhance MHC’s visibility
- Train MHC representatives to communicate with the press effectively
- As appropriate, conduct press outreach in collaboration with partners, funders, etc.
Analytical Participant Engagement and Data Tracking: 15%
- Work with Digital Marketing Administrator to track, measure, and analyze relevant marketing data
- Create and execute successful SEO keyword management, including creative testing to effectively achieve customer acquisition goals
- Drive and track testing methodologies within all elements of marketing to improve engagement
- Enter marketing tracking data into CRM, extract reports, and prepare data presentation for internal or external audiences
Internal/External Relationships: 15%
- Work collaboratively with MHC staff, board, scholars, partners, media, and public relations contacts
- Attend planning meetings and work collaboratively with program staff to develop marketing materials
Other Duties: 5%
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
Position requires a self-motivated, flexible, and optimistic individual with excellent interpersonal skills and ability to handle multiple concurrent projects.
- BA/BS degree in marketing, communications, public relations, or related field
- Minimum five years professional experience creating, guiding, and implementing effective marketing, branding, media, and PR initiatives
- Excellent storytelling and written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in analyzing web traffic, developing content, keywords, and targeting strategies for online ads
- Demonstrated project/time management and organizational skills with ability to manage multiple projects independently
- Strong technological skills, including experience using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Excel)
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite, Constant Contact, and WordPress is preferred
- Experience working with diverse populations
Adaptable – Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions and thrives in an environment of complexity, change, and ambiguity.
Collaborative – Skilled at building relationships and acts respectfully when working with colleagues and partners to earn and build consensus.
Enthusiastic – Exhibits passion and excitement about humanities work. Has a positive attitude.
Creative Problem Solver – Acts in advance to deal with an expected or unexpected situation, quickly generating alternative solutions/ideas.
Efficient – Able to produce significant output with strong work ethic and high quality standards.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. This is largely a sedentary role: however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
The Minnesota Humanities Center is committed to building a work culture that is focused on a diverse, inclusive, equitable, and accessible organization.
Interested candidates should email: cover letter (including salary requirements) and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are unable to accept telephone calls.