About The Role
This position is a key resource within the company for facilitating the effective ordering of products and services, and for ensuring that supply commitments and business needs are met. The Purchasing/Receiving Agent reports to the President/General Manager and supports the Wood Shop and Art Fabrication Shop as well as various other departments within our organization. This position will be the main/sole Purchaser for Split Rock Studios. This role will help to clarify needs, evaluate and assist with determining suppliers, generate and place orders, and manage ongoing supplier and vendor interactions within the global operations.
Buy goods and services necessary for our organization to maintain its operation; by means and opportunity to raise our profits by making the most high-quality and cost-effective purchases. With a keen eye for detail and a cabinetry mindset, the Purchaser should know how to evaluate market conditions and different suppliers. Good communication skills enable the Purchaser to effectively negotiate and maintain profitable relationships. The goal is to acquire supplies that are critical for the success of our business operations and keep our shops moving forward by monitoring and expediting orders as well as receiving and maintaining inventory.
• Develop profitable purchasing strategies.
• Assess supplier profiles and analyze offers.
• Prepare and implement effective negotiation tactics.
• Manage relationships with key suppliers to maintain quality of goods, timely delivery and compliance to terms of contracts.
• Review supplies to ensure quality.
• Monitor stock material levels in both shops.
• Prepare and submit detailed reports (revenues, buying expenditures etc.).
• Keep updated records of vendors and suppliers.
• Procure all types of materials required for company operations.
• Place bids and ensure competitive pricing on all materials.
• Support Estimating as a backup resource or Estimator.
• Make arrangements for deliveries to SRS when applicable.
Other Related Duties as Needed
• Ensure safety equipment, fire extinguishers, and emergency signage are within local compliances.
• Assist the Shop Foreman to keep parts and hardware inventories full and up to date.
• Work closely with Operations, the Production Manager, and Shop Foreman with workflow and priorities of materials.
• Be cognizant of current job schedules and know when projects ship.
• Track orders so team members know when to expect materials
• Provide follow up on receiving questions from coworkers.
• Ability to read and understand cabinet, millwork, interactive and AutoCad drawings is a must
• Proven experience as a Purchasing Agent
• Demonstrable experience in negotiating prices and terms and conditions
• Knowledge of market research, data analysis, and purchasing best practices
• Demonstrated commitment to achieving the organization’s goals and objectives
• Ability to work effectively with others
• High ethical standards
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Strong negotiating skills and the ability to work with suppliers
• Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively with a focus on timeliness and responsiveness
• Capable of utilizing the internet effectively for research and evaluation
• Ability to assist change and sell new concepts and approaches
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
• Understanding of procurement’s impact on financial results
• A strong analytical mindset
• Attention to detail
• Diligent time management and willingness to help others
• Availability Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm
• Primary backup phone support
• Collect and validate all employee timesheets on a weekly basis
• Update cost cards with hours and expenses
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED). Post-secondary or college degree will be a bonus.
• 5 years of previous business, purchasing, estimating, or related experience is preferred.
• Experience working with databases/data warehouse applications, ERP systems, and/or Microsoft Office applications required.
• Experience with procurement tools, processes, and systems is preferred.
• Experience in exhibits, cabinetry, construction, or manufacturing is preferred.
Please note: This position requires working on site at Split Rock Studios in Minneapolis, MN.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and salary history.
About the Company
Split Rock Studios specializes in creating natural and cultural history exhibits for museums, interpretive centers, aquariums, zoos, and political institutions. From coast to coast, our team of museum experts brings stories to life. Our clients trust and enjoy our design process because it’s collaborative, creative, and organized. From exhibit designers and project managers in our front office to artists and woodworkers in our shop, Split Rock Studios brings together the full range of museum exhibit design and fabrication services under one roof.
Of special interest: Split Rock Studios is an employee-owned business known as an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan).
How to Apply
First, indicate your intent to apply to our retained search manager: email@example.com. Please email your cover letter* and resume plus salary requirement with the subject line “Your Name, Purchaser > Split Rock Studios.”
*In your brief cover letter addressed to SRS President Isaiah Boehlert, respond to 3 of these topics…
• How do you successfully attend to details and stay organized in a busy purchasing role?
• Tell us how you have built positive relationships with suppliers of materials?
• Briefly describe a shipping situation and how you raised a flag to garner help.
• What experience do you have / what excites you about working in an exhibit design-build company?
Our search manager will inform you if you’ve been selected to interview, and will outline the steps thereafter.
We look forward to hearing from you!