Senior Art Director-Greeting Cards (hybrid)
Full-time position with Design House Greetings in Centerville
Job posted February 22, 2023
About The Role
Come hang out with us!
The job: Senior Art Director-Greeting Cards for our in-house creative team
Design House Greetings makes fun and unique greeting cards designed in collaboration with artists from all over the world. It starts with our two-person design team (you would be #3), made up of art directors who do their best to also be writers and project managers as well as designers. The team dreams up concepts and researches artists, gathers designs, and then directs, refines, and crafts them to produce hundreds of high-quality, smart, fun, and innovative greeting card designs a year!
RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE…
• concept development
• graphic design
• infrequent website updates
• possible trade show attendance
• helping to shape social media content
• working with licensing agents
• overseeing print production
Excellent communication skills — both written and verbal — are essential. We are looking for someone with a positive attitude who is able to build productive relationships with team members inside and outside the organization.
This is a full-time, in-house position in Centerville, Minnesota (just 20 minutes north of downtown St. Paul). It’s a sometimes fast, sometimes slow-paced, open work environment with health insurance, profit sharing, 401K, and paid time off — personal, sick, holidays, and your birthday — as well as awesome coworkers and space to grow.
Working remotely is not an option; we are office-first with 1-2 days WFH.
IF YOU ARE…
A self-starter who is detail oriented, conscientious, comfortable wearing multiple hats — and working on every step of the process yourself, from product concept to layout, design, and production — you may be just right!
We expect you to be curious and proactive, enthusiastic, fun-loving, and organized. You must have an eagle eye for the details — including spelling. Know how to own your own work while staying open, communicative, and collaborative. You are a team player who wants to work in a small collaborative environment. Experience is a must.
YOUR SKILLS INCLUDE…
• 6+ years of experience working in a range of creative and collaborative environments, with top-notch Adobe Creative Suite skills.
• The ability to create original greeting card designs from concept through production.
• A good ear for copy and good eye for typos and grammar.
• A thorough understanding of 4-color print production: file requirements, optimization of images, paper selection, and press check experience.
• Experience working with, negotiating with, and managing licensing agencies and artist relationships.
• Strong understanding of ongoing trends in fashion, retail, and design industries.
• Experience in the stationery industry would be a HUGE plus!
WE WANT TO SEE…
Your portfolio should demonstrate a large breadth of varied design solutions and playful methods, demonstration of an understanding and creative use of typography, and significant experience in the print sector.
We love seeing personal work, which can be silly or indulgent, polished or rough. Tell us about the other things you’ve done, too. Have you paddled the Boundary Waters? Are you a gourmet cook? Have you written a series of mystery novels?
HOW TO APPLY…
Please send your cover letter*, your resume, and a portfolio link or pdf of design samples to our search manager, email@example.com. Label your email “Your Name > Sr Art Director, Design House Greetings” in the subject line. Include your anticipated salary in the email message.
*In your letter, we’d love to hear you address two or more of these prompts…
• Share your thoughts about greeting cards. Why do they appeal to you / what’s your relationship with them?
• Mention a favorite message line you’ve seen in a greeting card.
• Tell us about your knowledge of the stationery and greeting card industry.
• Explain your love of print design. What would you miss about digital if it’s a minimal portion of your work?
Following review of your application by our search manager, qualified applicants are forwarded to the Design House Greetings Founder/Creative Director. A hiring committee will examine applications. The interview process will include an in-person meeting with team members, a tour of the Centerville facility, and a request for references thereafter.
We look forward to getting acquainted with you!
- Submit your application
- Company website
- Contact email: firstname.lastname@example.org